Thursday, April 5, 2012

Happy birthday, dear Elise

We celebrated Elise's birthday today. She's six years old. This is my amazing sister who last year was so determined to pay for all of Starfish baby Elise's cleft lip surgery (She ended up with $8 because she only accepted change. We payed for the rest of it). And who is already planning her trip for when she turns 13. She also has 5 different jars in her bedroom with 5 different Starfish baby names on them that she uses to save up her money to help them. 
She was up super early ready to open presents. So I wrapped her's. :) Then we told her she couldn't open presents until after everyone was done with breakfast. She was done in 5 minutes and bugged all of us until we finished. She got some Calico Critters, which are replacing our train set, and some other fun things. Lilly and I went together on a present. Mainly because she didn't have one. We got Elise a dress and Lilly said "Soon it will be mine when you get old!"Yep. The loveliness of hand-me-downs. 
After we pulled Elise and Lilly from the Calico Critters, we went to the zoo. We had great weather, considering what we've had lately, and it only drizzled twice. All the animals were being active or at least in our sight. Except for that stinky Caracal. I swear that it's really just an empty exhibit and they say it's in there so you will waste a good ten minutes looking for it. Dad said he saw it. Whatever. :) We got elephant ears because there was a birthday to celebrate and they were SUPER good. We consumed them pretty quickly. The highlight of the trip would be running into one of Elise's friends and seeing the lion up close at the keeper talk. 
We had a yummy Korean cake tonight. It was super good. Chinese cakes are better, but I really would be fine with any asian cake instead of the ones you get at Fred Meyers. Not a big fan of frosting. 
Elise started this thing with birthday girl privileges. For example: 
Elise: "I think the birthday girl gets seconds on cake" (there was one piece left)
Lilly: "No, the next birthday girl!" (Lilly's birthday is in 9 days)
We opened some of Lilly's presents early because she kind of was really upset last night. Elise got to open a present early and Lilly said "I won't get ANY princess stuff for my birthday like Elise." So Lilly got to open up her Calico Critters today too. And more are coming tomorrow. 
Elise affectionately calls me "my pie maker". My awesome Grandpa taught me how to make pies when I was 11 and when I came home from our trip I started making them like crazy. Elise was my official helper and within 6 months she knew exactly how to make a pie. I just had to help her with the measurements. That was when I made a pie or 3 every week. Now it's more like once a month and I'm still called "pie maker". Lilly had caught on to it too. They often fight over who's pie maker I am. Elise's biggest threat to me: "If you don't do what I want then you can't be my pie maker anymore." 
Happy Birthday girly! I love you!

1 comment:

people showed that they care :)