Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Muslim Market and City Wall: check!

Today was an amazingly full day for us. We met Gillian who is an amazing person. She is a nurse that has traveled around volunteering her skills and she has traveled about everywhere. She decided to join Peggy, Grandma and me on our trip to downtown. We made it to the subway where this awesome security guy helped us. Then we forgot what station he said to get off at so we kind of guessed. I got to be in charge of our transportation and bargaining since I'm the only one with China experience. Well until today. We got off at the Zhoung Lou station which is right under the bell tower. We got off and I found the entrance to the muslin market by McDonalds. Yep. I remembered from last trip and am feeling a little bit proud of myself. :) We decided to go to the Xi'an City Wall first once we found the muslim market. It was only a few blocks away. We rented 2 tandem bicycles. Peggy and Gillian on one and Grandma and me on the other. We only had them for 100 minutes so we didn't get to far. Maybe about 1/4 of the way around and back. Peggy and Gillian's bike kept having problems and they ended up walking it for the last little bit. We had these teenage chinese boys that tried helping us but the chain would just fall off after about 10 feet of riding the bike. The muslim market was really fun. Suprisingly enough, we didn't have to do too much bargaining at the beginning. Stuff here can be dirt cheap. Once we got deeper in we had to bargain more. I got a T-shirt for 20 yuan (5 yuan more than the same one I got last trip) that she had tried to sell to me for 125 yuan. My favorite bargain. :) I got some things for the girls, but not that much because we already have quite a few china souvenirs from my last trip. I did find some pretty awesome stuff, but suprises are suprises. Mom: I did get you some frogs, but I think that I'll keep them. :) And I had a first. I got to see them selling canaries who serenaded us our whole entire shopping spree. They were in some pretty cool cages. We made it back home without any problems besides an way to crowded bus. We were all crammed together with no space to move and they let 8 more people on the bus! I got to see some cute chinese kids outside of starfish today. All bundled up in a million layers and then they also have the split pants. What is the point of the layers if you are going to split their pants? I did find some, but didn't get them because I couldn't think of anyone to use them. :)
I got here in time to have 30 minutes with the babies before bedtime. Ethan was crying when I walked in and immediately ran to me and cuddled me for a good 10 minutes. That made my day to have him choose me over his nanny. He is definitely a nanny's boy. Coco had to spend time with me too when she saw me. She starts crying when a nanny comes close to us now because she thinks that they will come to take her away from me. Bryant and Judy got some time out with me too. Judy was talking a bunch which is great. They are both doing so much better. Still little babies but definitely in better health.
The chinese people cooked us an amazing dinner again. Super dooper yummy. They had these strips of potatoes that kind of tasted like hashbrowns. I ate a lot of those.
Good news! So the orphanage said that Kay Louise had a heart and brain problem when they gave her to us. She was checked out and they are pretty sure she doesn't have any heart problems. And Gillian just looked at her and said that she has no symptoms of a brain problem. We might just have a healthy, adorable, Indian/Chinese baby! Definitely excited about that. That only happens every once in a while. I think Joshua and Daniel were the last two (?).
And more good news. I just looked at the itinerary for our flight home and we will only be on the plane for a total of 12 hours! Talk about a short flight!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had alot of fun! :) We hope to be able to visit the Muslim market too when we come get Madeline:)
    I'm so excited to read that about Kay Louise! She looks like such an amazingly sweet baby:)

    ReplyDelete

people showed that they care :)