Wednesday, March 7, 2012

a few more crazy updates

Yesterday (Tuesday) Jeannie and Karee left for Nashville leaving me and Peggy in charge of treatments. We definitely miss them. Jeannie's daughter does girl scouts so they brought tons of girl scout cookies which were consumed very quickly. 
The day they left we had some volunteers come with supplies to make dumplings. Mila quickly joined in and made some good ones. I tried but have no dumpling skills apparently. :) We then got to eat some of the hundreds that they made. Charlotte and Kathryn had some too. 
Last night I didn't have to do overnight duty with the babies. A big thanks to the Chinese girl and Peggy for doing it! Instead I woke up a 6 to get ready to take 8 babies to the hospital for a blood test. They believe Dawn died from CRP and wanted to make sure the other sick babies didn't have it. So we took Grace, Judy, Noelle, Ryan, Leo, Trevor, Marianne, and Ethan. Ethan hasn't been sick but had a weird bump on his ear that we wanted to check just in case. Let's say 9 adults and 8 babies make a crowded 8 seated Honda. :) I was squished in the very back with sleeping Leo on my lap. Once we got to the hospital I was switching between Ryan and Ethan duty. Ryan kept running away while we waited for the doctor so this volunteer he really likes took him and Ethan became my charge. He was such a sweetie and was super good for the nurse. Didn't cry. He didn't need a blood test so he fell asleep in my arms for the two hours we were there. The other babies weren't to happy. They hadn't had anything but water since midnight since they were getting blood tests. Long story short we made it home alive. Everyone is pretty good. Trevor does have pneumonia. The hospital doesn't have any free beds so we are supposed to take him back tomorrow because they have saved one for him. The occupant just has to leave. Marianne was able to leave the sick room. She's pretty happy about that. 
I have Bryant giggling and smiling a ton, which is a huge improvement. He is really ticklish on his chest. He talks a lot to me now too. Angel feels a little neglected but this boy needs a lot more chub before I feel good about leaving him here. 
Xander will let me hold him when grandma is around now. He mainly uses me to get to her but I think me giving him m&ms helped. I swear he is a lot more chubbier than when we came and finally grandma believes me. :)
I got Chris to like me more. He better. I'm the one that held him when Mia was sleeping our last trip. Mom and I helped him gain some chub that week we were there.
This is miss Angel. Definitely the chubbiest of the little babies. She is 3 1/2 months old. She's a pretty quiet baby as long as she is being held. I really want to bring her home. Her SN is only her fingers being a little deformed. Just on one hand too. Her eyes are so beautiful and she just stares at everything. I walked in today and the English speaking nanny, who I love, said to angel: look its your big sister! Then she said to me: she's your little sister, huh? You want to hold her? Of course I couldn't say no. It's really funny how quickly everyone picks up the babies that you have bonded with and will hand them over if you walk in. :) In the well little baby room Angel and Bryant would have to be my babies. In the other baby room all 3. :) Then there is Justin, Coco, Charlotte, Isaac, Bella, Kathryn and Geoff. Ok, before I name all of the babies, I'm making an effort to get them all to love me before I leave. It's working pretty well. And I'm memorizing birthdays a ton. 
Speaking of birthdays happy birthday to my sister, Autumn! She's 12 now. Another birthday would have been miss Mia, my baby from the last trip. Her first birthday would have been the 4th. We kind of celebrated with jack and jane's adoptions. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    It sounds like you have been swamped there!!!!
    Although I am in medicine, not sure what crp is... Is it c reactive protein or a disease? I can not even imagine how chaotic that trip to the hospital was. What did they think of the thing on his ear?
    Thank you sooooo much for keeping us updated as to how things are going at starfish and with Ethan. We are eternally grateful!!,
    Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are great!!! It is all very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

people showed that they care :)